Friday, January 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Ryan!


My baby turned 14 last Friday, January 11. My son, our only boy, is growing into a strong and wise young man. This is bound to be another exciting year watching him grow.

I know his time with us at home is coming to an end in just a few years. It sometimes panics me when I realize there's so much more I want to tell him before he's on his own. His potential is huge (as with all children of God) and I could never say what I thought he might do with God in the future. His options are limitless because he is willing to try everything and excels at most things.

Ryan and I have different personalities. We struggle often to communicate with each other in compassionate and gentle ways. I pray he remembers the hugs and laughs and life skills I've tried to impart with him instead of the words said in anger and haste. Most of all I pray he will continue to grow strong in the Lord and to love His word.

Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of the law. They are not just idle words for you - they are your life.
Deuteronomy 32:46-47


About Ryan...

Ryan loves his sisters. He hasn't mastered tolerating their differences, but he loves them without question. He is the big brother that most of us wish we had! (pics - left, 2005; below, 2007)

















Another thing that I love is his self-motivation to do things well. He takes his homework and studying seriously. He wants to do his best in athletics and training. (pic - 2004) When he was younger and in our AWANA program, he wanted to learn his verses well, to know them beyond passing the section. He can focus, and that will be a great skill for him in the future.

And, whatever you do, whether in word or deed,
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
Colossians 3:17




Ryan has also chosen a good friend to laugh,
wrestle, and play with.
He has been blessed with a friendship with an all around great kid.
As a parent, I am so thankful for Trey,
his friendship with Ryan
and his silliness...that makes us all laugh!
(pics - left, 2006; below, 2005)

He who walks with the wise grows wise,
but a companion of fools suffers harm.
Proverbs 13:20



Most of all I'm thankful that Ryan has a great Dad to look up to. I often tell him he needs to be noticing what a helpful, respectful and great husband Richard is. I want him to someday go into a relationship with gifts of compassion, gentleness and leadership for his own family. These are traits that most likely will come from seeing them modeled in his dad. I am so thankful that Ryan loves to wrestle and play and work with Richard. He is like him in more than just looks! (pic - 2005)For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father
deals with his own children,
encouraging, comforting and urging
you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you
into His kingdom and glory.

I Thessalonians 2:11-12


Happy Birthday Ryan! Be careful on your new moped and grow strong in the things that matter!

Love, MOM

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love this birthday tribute to Ryan! I'm thankful that my boys have such a fine young man to look up to in their cousin.