Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grandma 5-20-10

I lived in the same house for 17 years. My grandparents lived less than 2 miles away for that entire time. When my parents moved into town my senior summer my grandparents also moved in the same direction. For as long as I have been alive my maternal grandparents have lived within a couple of miles from my house. We were close growing up. They were almost the only baby sitters I ever knew. We celebrated every holiday and birthday together. We worshipped together on Sundays. We were close.

Today my grandmother died. I am so relieved she is finished with her life here on earth where her mind and body just weren't healthy. It's so hard to watch people turn into people they aren't. She is a grandmother that made homemade cookies, chex mix, fried chicken and always had chips and dip at her house. I can't remember her ever telling us we couldn't come over and we all loved to spend the night at her house. She had one of those beds with about 10 sheets and quilts and yet it was cool. I mean, once you got in the bed, you couldn't move because of the weight of the blankets, but it was very comforting.

This weekend is packed with activities for our family. We already have three places for us to be on Saturday and the funeral will be at 10am that morning. I will be able to drive up tomorrow to be there for my mom during the visitation and will be able to stay for the funeral. There's just no way for us to get everyone else there. Grandma would never want anyone making a fuss over her so I feel somehow excused for the rest of my family.

Crazy thing, before I went to Hawaii I drove up to MH to hug my mom for Mother's Day. I hadn't seen her in a long time and talking on the phone just wasn't going to be enough. While I was there we took Grandma to the hospital because she was having problems coughing and not clearing her throat. I got to spend about 3 hours of my 12 hour trip with my Grandma. She was in a hospital bed, just resting, breathing shallowly, but I did get to squeeze her hand, which made me feel like a kid. I loved to squeeze her hands when I was young. I'm thankful I got to see her one last time.

She left us with a heritage of gracefulness and preciousness. She was kind and loving to all and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She was not only unselfish but generous. Grandma loved Grandpa, until her last moments on earth. She has asked for Everett for the last 5 years even though she never heard him answer. Today, they are in the presence of the Lord together.

1 comment:

Maranda said...

Sorry for your family's loss, Jen. We love you guys and we'll be praying for you!