Monday, August 18, 2008

Rascal, our swimming dog

Our two labs stay in their pen most all day,everyday, however, a week ago Rascal was "bothering" Rolle. Rolle was barking quite a lot about it but Rascal wasn't showing self control and I decided he needed a time out.

So, I put Rolle in the pen and left him out after their morning feeding. For most of the morning he sat right beside the pen and occasionally would run up to the porch to tell me that he was out. It was funny! About lunchtime I had to go get Ryan from football practice and I forgot to put him in the pen. (They're in the pen because when they're out, they get bored and chew on things)

OK, when we come in, I'm fixing lunch, Ryan is getting ready to shower and Sheridan is looking out the back doors. "Hey Mom, Rascal is swimming in the pool!" This is funny, the 90 pound lab has climbed up the swimming pool ladder and has been swimming in our pool. I'm laughing, and running for my camera, and Ryan goes out to get him out.


It didn't take us long to figure out that he must've been treading awhile because the dog was pooped! He was hanging on to the side like a baby! He couldn't get his body back up on the ladder. Now Ryan is trying to get our 90 pound wet dog out of the pool.

I am laughing hysterically, because Rascal has his tongue out down to his feet, totally exhausted. When Ryan finally heaves him up- yes, I put down my camera to help just as Richard arrives home from lunch, Rascal can hardly stand! He collapses into a puddle breathing like Darth Vader beside the pool.

I finally coax him back to the back yard where the pen is and he wobbles all the way down there. The poor dog! He did leave Rolle alone the rest of the day while recuperating from his swim.

YES, in retrospect we were certainly thankful he was swimming and not floating. That would've been a BAD day.

1 comment:

I'm Jaime said...

Oh my... that is hilarious! I love it! Your blog is so much fun to read. :) Maranda and Leslie finally got me started on blogging and I just love it, though I don't blog about my family... Jordan is a little paranoid. Take care!