Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Welcome to Shelf City

Beware: the pictures you are about to see could make you sick! This is a place I would never take you if you came to my house.
BEFORE:






I have been busy this morning and it's worth the time in pictures and a post. Shelf City is what we call the narrow closet/office/catch-all that is right past our laundry room. Richard and I put up shelves covering an entire wall of the room about 7 years ago and boy have we filled them!

AFTER:



This room stores most importantly all our craft and school supplies, movies and games. I always CRINGE when one of the kids takes a friend back to pick out a game! Usually I'm just hoping there aren't unmentionables hanging in the laundry room, but then I remember that shelf city is a dumping ground for every extra electronic cord, papers that don't fit in the filing cabinet, photo frames with pictures of my kids when they were toddlers, etc.

I will admit I have about 3 baskets of things to sort through and a box of electronic cords/camcorders for Richard to organize. I've also saved the game shelf for the kids to organize. But...I'm so happy, you can actually see the floor and walls of the room!!

I'm reading The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn this month with our church. Wow, I was really challenged last week with the principle, "you can't take it with you." This morning I was challenged that "everything belongs to God, and we are the managers." It was with these ideas that I took out a lot of trash this morning and gave away things that our pre-school might be able to use. I have another box of books and clothes to donate and I now I know what we have and will be able to use it all better.

5 comments:

Mrs. Hughes said...

WOW! You have been BUSY! The book sounds good and Shelf City has been transformed!

Kayren said...

Love it, Jennifer! I like that you had pictures hanging on the wall even amidst the chaos.

MomsTheWord said...

I hang all off-season pics, old cross-stitch, wreaths etc in my laundry room and in shelf city!

Unknown said...

AHHHH...organization makes me happy!! I could be happy in Shelf City! : )

Ashley said...

WOW! I am so impressed!