Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Parenting: The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat

Yesterday was tough. I had to discipline on the way out the door to school and I got pretty uptight with one of my kids in the car on the way! I was in tears when I got home, just angry and frustrated and feeling like I certainly failed if I haven't taught them to take responsibility for themselves! I wrestled with the question, "Is is OK to have good kids, or should I continue to train them to be GREAT kids?" "What does God want me to do?"

During my quiet time I was still pondering the questions and then I realized God had already given me an answer. He has told me to teach them the Word and teach them to love HIM. Period. Respect, honor, responsibility, leadership skills, kindness, and even love will follow. I ended my time committed to being very intentional about re-enforcing our adoration of the Lord in the everyday happenings here on the lane.

On my list of TO DOs yesterday was to get our Christmas cards taken care of. A good friend sent me this picture last week and it touches a place in my heart. Before Richard and I ever married (I knew he wanted a lot of kids. I did not want to be pregnant.) I told him if we were going to have kids, they were going to be friends. This picture says it all:


How good and pleasant it is when brothers (and sisters) live together in unity. Psalm 133:1

No comments: