Sunday, April 13, 2008

Curb appeal



I watch a considerable amount of HGTV and I'll tell you, I still love my house! When I see all the creative things they can do...the art pieces they make out of sticks, the pillows they make out of bath rugs, how they make puce green rooms look elegant...it would be easy to be frustrated, but honestly it's simply inspiring!

Our house, though almost 25 years old, is holding up pretty well. This summer we're going to do an overhaul on the front landscaping. The bushes in front are probably original to the house and a little 70s if I admit it. I'm tired of trimming them and pulling out my overgrown lariope. I like to keep blooming flowers in the window boxes, even though they look a little sickly in this picture. Richard rebuilt the boxes for me a few years ago. I think they make our house look lived in and happy.

Last fall Richard and I pulled up an overgrown azalea and re-did the irregular triangle in front of the house. This week we've enjoyed the blooming flowers and buds coming out on our new weeping crepe myrtle! I love making the investment in my yard...it brings about a reward many times over.

I also love it that we have our kids to help! On Friday they came home to two bushes worth of limbs and roots to carry to the back yard burn pile! They also lifted many rocks for the border from the back yard and carried them to the front. We kept reminding them how rewarding it was to live in such a great family with a great house and how wonderful it was that we could all share in the work. At least they acted like they bought it, and at least one of them admired our work when it was all done. Even Sheridan picked up rocks and limbs to carry!

We had unexpected guests from Springdale call Friday afternoon. They called on their way to LR and wanted to meet us for dinner - I had chicken marinating, lettuce for salad, and potatoes to cook, so I invited them over! (I was covered in dirt up to my elbows when they called) Even though I suspect their new home in NWA is nicer than ours...I resisted the urge to become discontented with what God has provided for me. This is definitely against my nature, but I wanted God to know that I am thankful and I will take care of and use what He has given me for His purposes. God is good all the time...when I'm still, I recognize it all around me.

No comments: