Sunday, December 28, 2008

My favorite family tradition




When Richard and I were first married I made stockings for us out of an old red quilt my mom had bought at an estate sale. I kept making stockings as we had our children...it's probably the most "crafty" thing I've ever done. Anyway, the man in the red suit doesn't fill them but we do!

Everyone writes each person in the family a love letter and fills the stockings before Christmas. Before we head out for our relatives' house we read the letters out loud and are filled up with family love before the big car ride (if you know what I mean).

This year I fixed a special dinner and after shrimp and pasta, country style ribs, and spinach leaf salad we opened our letters.




Some excerpts from this year in my stocking...

"Mom,
This Christmas is going to be the best, because we are all together! You are the best mom in the world-you know that, but I want to tell you that because you like to hear things like that from me!...."


"Dear Mom,
Merry Christmas! I have enjoyed this year SO much. I just want to say a HUGE thanks to you for helping me through the ups and downs this year. ..."


"...Even though a lot of times it appears that I don't listen to what you say, please trust me that I am paying attention. ..."

Count your many blessings, name them one by one.

1 comment:

KathyH said...

That's awesome!

I can't wait to see my "other family" this weekend! They flew all night last night from Anchorage to Dallas.